Saturday, September 13, 2008

SIDS

Today's post is not really a happy one, but it's what's on my mind. These past few weeks I have heard of 3 babies being lost to SIDS, and one more a few months ago. One of the mom's put it this way: "I think it is a merciful way for Heavenly Father to take these sweet babies home. SIDS babies don't struggle or suffer, they just stop breathing." It is hard for me to feel that way, and I have not even been through that situation. They are doing more and more research on SIDS and it seems there are some genetic factors that weigh in, also environmental factors (for instance, exposure to second hand smoke) and also recent studies have shown that the part of the brain that produces serotonin is underdeveloped in babies and that could contribute. For now, I guess I will just pray that research continues and that they find a way to totally prevent SIDS. And right now I am going to go check on my two beautiful babies who are taking a nice long morning nap, kiss them on the forehead and pray that God protects them in all the ways I am not able to.

No comments: