Friday, September 17, 2010

someone tell me the right decision, PLEASE!


Well, we have found ourselves in a particularly stressful situation.  Jonathan has a good job offer from a pretty stable company, what's stressful about that you ask?  Well, he only has a few days to consider it and get back to them with an answer.  Unfortunately, the company he REALLY REALLY likes called back and want to fly him out for another interview with them.  The unfortunate part comes in with the whole timing issue.  He will not be going out there until AFTER the time has expired to get back with the company for the first job offer.  So we are left in a precarious position.  Turn down a good job offer in hopes of a great job offer?!?!  That's the question.  Is a bird in the hand really worth two in the bush when the two in the bush are so much better in so many ways?  We have been praying and seeking and seeking and praying, but at this point neither of us really knows what to do.  God wants to give us the desires of our heart, but we don't want to mistake what we think we want for what He has provided us with.  Why oh why didn't life come with a manual with specific answer to exact questions?   

Regardless of what we decide, we have started packing.  We have no idea where we are going or when we will be going there, but wherever it is, chances are we are not going to have a lot of time to get there, probably a week or less which is not enough time to schedule an army move so we are doing it ourselves.  So far I have found that Jonathan and I have VERY different "packing styles."  This whole packing/moving ourselves may be a really bad plan, I will get back to you on the whole thing if we live through it.  

As Austin and Lanna chowed down on grapes tonight at dinner I remembered that I had a video of Austin eating a grape way back when, and I thought I would share (Hello random).  Please ignore my double chin and otherwise terrible appearance, thanks.  
I know it looks like I am a horrible mother for shoving grapes in my sons mouth but it paid off, that's one of his favorite foods now!  If I would have known that's how it works, I would have shoved down more spinach! 

In other news...I am addicted to a new song.  And I do mean addicted.  I have this problem...I find a song I really like and I listen to it over and over again.  Usually Jonathan starts groaning after a few days of listening to the same song, and then long, long after that point I get to where I have heard it enough and I am sick of it as well.  The thing is, I try really hard not to do this.  I try so hard to mix in other music so that I don't get sick of whatever song it is, I like music, I don't want to be sick of everything.  But I can't help myself.  I end up skipping through everything else until I get to my latest obsession.  Then finally I give up and just put the song on repeat and listen happily for much longer than any normal person could put up with the same song.  The worst part about my current obsession is that it's mostly in Italian so I can't even really sing it to myself while walking around the house or the grocery store.  I end up mumbling weird sounds to the general tune.  It's ugly.  Thanks James Blunt. 

7 comments:

Jordan said...

Could you request that the first job give a few more days for consideration?

Lindsey said...

Jonathan already had to extend it due to an interview with a third company and they were really hesitant to do that, so he feels like he has already pushed it farther than they wanted. I wish we could do that, thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm not an expert, so I can't make the decision for you, but if he is being FLOWN back for another interview than they think very highly of him and is most likely the most qualified. My HR friend told me that! I think if he also mentioned he turned down other job offers because this is his first choice company, that may be good??
Go with your gut and your heart. He is also obviously this other company's first choice since they offered him the job so he may be able to squeeze more time out of them to make his decision. Maybe they are trying to snag him up fast! Maybe say, I am grateful for your patience. If you are not willing to give me more time to consider this decision, then I decline your offer.

Maybe type this question into google and you may get some HR or Interviewing tips sites that can help with this dilema.

xoxoxo

Unknown said...

I never get tired of listening to your songs!

Unknown said...

Lindsey, on the packing part, companies used to pay for the move of a new employee to their location. I don't know if that's still standard procedure, but maybe it's worth asking? It could maybe save you all a lot of time and trouble. Alliance should know.

mamatie said...

Go after what you guys really want. If Amazon doesn't work out something else will.

Anonymous said...

I am glad Lindsey that I am not the only one singing songs in another language! My favorite song is in Irish! Have fun! Good luck with the job hunting... we almost 'accepted' a job in Chicago... but Los Alamos came thru! Whew!

Susan Winton (no google account!)