Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sunday Morning Solo


Yesterday the twitters and I went to church solo.  Ok, I was solo, they had each other.  And really, I had them so I was not solo either...  We went without Jonathan.  There.  Jonathan was headed to Atlanta to fly out to VA for a job interview.  In my head I had great aspirations of making to Sunday School, those were gone before Sunday morning even hit.  But I was still planning on going to church.  The twitters were up in plenty of time, we said goodbye to Jonathan when he headed out the door.  All was going well.  Then somehow in between 10:45am and 11:10am something went horribly wrong.  I am not sure what, but it translated to screaming, wailing, weeping and the gnashing of teeth.  The twitters were dressed and had food in their tummies, all I had to do was put their shoes on and get them out the door.  I don't remember exactly what happened, all I know is I looked at the clock and it said 10:45am and I thought "well, might as well get their shoes on, maybe I will have time to drop by Starbucks on my way."  Hahaha, I am funny, Starbucks, extra time, I crack myself up sometimes.  Anyhow it ended up with both of my two and a half year old children refusing to walk and me carrying them out to the car.  Have you ever tried to lock a door with wiggling and crying 50+ lbs in your hands?  If not, you should, it's awesome, especially if you have a door that you have to pull toward you in order to get the dead bolt to slide into the locked position.  We made it to church and the twitters had miraculously calmed down and we walked and in hand to the door.  Then a nice lady held the door open for us and looked down at Lanna and Austin and muttered those fateful words "Good morning, aren't you two cute."  At which point they both dissolved into tears and were clawing at my legs saying "carry, carry, carry."   It takes some doing to pick up both of them at once, it takes even more doing when you are wearing a skirt and there are lots of people looking at you.   I walked through the door, told the poor confused lady thank you and went to check them into the nursery.   As I am sure you can gather at this point, we were late.  So by the time I walked into church they were well into the worship section and everyone was happily singing.  I walked down the rows looking for a place to sit....packed, of course.  Finally I spotted a descent chunk of empty space on a pew way in the front, so I walked down there and asked the guy standing there if  I could sit there.  He looked at me and said "well my wife is coming."  Then he looked at the amount of space and said "well, is there anyone else with you."  Me: "No, it's just me."  Guy: "ok."  Ok?  Does that mean go ahead and sit?  So I did, I was standing in the aisle in the front of a packed church.  Awkward, but whatever.  I took my spot as far to the edge of the pew as I could get and started singing.  Then after a while his wife came, and boy did she give me a look.  I am not trying to hit on your husband, I am married, with two kids, and trust me, I would rather be sitting just about any other place right now, but thanks for making this even more awkward.  As soon as the service ended I practically ran for the door.  Picked up the twitters, Lanna had peed through her diaper, sweet.  I saw my Sunday School teachers and just looked the other way and ran for the door with the twitters in tow.  If you all ever read this, I am sorry, I am not usually that rude.  So that was my Sunday morning.  How was yours? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had to deal with that! You are so good to stick with it despite all the negatives! My husband and I don't attend church and sometimes I wonder why some people do when they have to deal with people like that. But, I have had great experiences attending church. I guess you just have to look past that. You are a strong and independent woman to maintain your routine while the hubby is away. Good luck to you guys. I hope everything turns out well!

xoxoxo
Jen

Lindsey said...

Jen, that look was the first time someone has been anything but positive to me at that church, I guess I can kinda see where she may have been coming from, but I was still kinda shocked! Oh well!! But we do love that church, otherwise I would not make such an effort to go! I hope that you all can find a church you feel comfortable with sometime, it's been such a source of comfort for me :)