Sunday, September 12, 2010

We Remember

Today is September 11th.  For anyone over the age of about 20 (give or take a few years), saying the date is enough.  It needs no further explanation.  Our nation was struck, and it impacted the world.   
 Photobucket

Today Jonathan and I took the twitters to the Atlanta Aquarium.  Little Buddy was so excited, it was cute.  We probably should not have told them where we were going because a 2 hour drive is a long time to expect a 2 year old to wait.  Poor thing, he started out so excited!  "Buddy fishy?"  But before long he got frustrated and we finally ended up popping in a DVD to distract him until we got there.  He loved it though.  Lanna did as well, don't get me wrong.  But I think Austin hopped and jumped and skipped from one exhibit to the next the whole time we were there.  At one point Lanna walked up to a picture of a clown fish and said "Hi Nemo, I Lanna Princess." :)  That was pretty darn cute.  There also happened to be a car show going on (RANDOM) so that made for a pretty happy husband as well.   
 Photobucket
As we walked through the rows of super nice expensive car, Jonathan drooled and I freaked out.  All I could think about was Austin or Lanna accidentally knocking over one of the poles holding the ropes and it falling over and putting a huge dent in a car that is probably worth more than my soul.  I am happy to report, that we left the cars in the same condition they were in when we graced the room with our presence.  Anyhow, it felt to me, like an oddly fitting way to spend our September 11th.  It reminded me of a clip from Army Wives.  During the season one finale, there is a point where one of the characters talks about how you beat terrorism.  I looked and looked and looked for that clip online and could not find it (if anyone knows where I can find it online PLEASE share), but she talks about how living out your life is beating terrorism.  Terrorists want to steal our lives from us, take our joy, to make us fear them.   How do you fight that?  You fight it by living  your life, and we are blessed in this country be able to live in safety that people in many other countries can only dream about.  There are countless men and women in foreign countries fighting for you today.  They are tired, hungry, and missing their families all so that you can relax and enjoy your life to the fullest.  There are countless more men and women in the United States training to fight when they are called upon to do so (from our service men and women, to police officers and firefighters).  Can you say blessed?  So today, my little family went out and relaxed, we lived our lives and enjoyed it.  And we were blessed.  

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

at one point I held the camera out to try and snap a picture of Lanna and I, much to my surprise I got this:
Photobucket

trying again (she held her hand out because I was holding mine out with the camera to take a picture, so cute!):
Photobucket


"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke  I am proud to say I have walked among men who chose not to simply look on and do nothing.  Growing up I took my first steps in the presence of men and women who worked to ensure national security.  Having been married to an Army man, I have frequently walked among men and women who signed up to pay whatever price was asked of them in order that we could sleep peacefully in our beds tonight.  We, as Americans, are indeed truly blessed.  
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics! Awesome hair! And hilarious shot of the twittress with her finger up her nose! Cheers!